12 June 2008

Systems of Hobos Tramps or Gypsy signs

Thought Signs: The Semiotics of Symbols-- Western Non-pictorial Ideograms
By Carl G.


Systems of hobo, tramps or gypsy signs (pp609 - 621)


The British system is sometimes called Tramps' "Smogger" {40}
The US system is called Hobo Signs {60}
The Swedish system is called Tattaretecken (meaning vagrants' or gypsies' signs) {30}
The French system is called Code secret de vagabondes {70}

No comments: