09 November 2005

bootleg art




"....Mr. Weiss, who admitted he had called the police. He said that he didn't like "seeing people walking around with tiny paintings," while he was paying high rent for his gallery and, "trying to sell $30,000 paintings."
" He told me that he didn’t like me selling art on his side of the street, “Because it attracts people.” At first I thought he was joking -- how could attracting people to his side of the street be a bad thing? Eventually, I realized he meant that I might encourage other artists to sell their work on the street, too. He complained about the high rent he had to pay for his gallery and said it was difficult to convince collectors to pay $30,000 for a painting when some guy was selling $100 paintings outside."


I usually sell this work outside on West 24th Street in Manhattan alongside galleries like Barbara Gladstone, Metro Pictures, Andrea Rosen, and Gagosian. Occaisionally I'll set up elsewhere. In 2004, I produced a series of Bootlegs of work by artists featured in the Whitney Biennial and sold them outside of the Whitney Museum during the opening week of the Biennial. Recently, I have begun to take the Bootlegs to art fairs around the world, including the Liste Art Fair in Basel, the Frieze Art Fair in London, the Scope Art Fair in Miami, the Flash Art Shows in Bologna and Milan, and the NOVA Art Fair in Chicago.


bootlegs




No comments: