01 November 2005

little black dress



as blogged earlier

CORRECTION: The Marie Claire image found here is not in fact an example of censorship but rather a Photoshopped piece by Farhad Moshiri, originally published in Bidoun magazine (Winter 2005). Moshiri's work does, however, include some actual examples of censored magazines, which you can see here.


-------------------------------------------
seen at the stedelijk museum building this week, an exposition of morrocan art
http://www.kunstmarokkanen.nl/index.php?page=20

My impression was that this was an exhibition of 'young' artists so I was surprised when I read the information on the website.

Aziz Bekkaoui (1976 Berkane Marokko)

statement as translated by bablefish

` Ídentiteit and uniformity, choice freedom and mediamanipulatie are called into question more than ever in several respects. In both my modecollecties and my work for I play the theatre and the dancing continuously with the relation of clothing and identity. Clothing as a second skin which has been read thus reflects the identity of the drager and ` becomes by its surroundings, but serves also as a beschermlaag of already which veiled wants remain and not public and public becomes. Beside my work in ` the industry ' takes I for my contribution to this tentoonstelling (live a performance installation) my freedom as an artist '.

click on nieuws (news) for images from the opening night


=======================================================
the exhibition minder suggested that the show would take about one hour to view; it took me 15 mins. There wasnt much positive to say about the show other than that a lot of money and effort appeared to have gone into it.

Aziz's photographs recalled the magazine image above. A combination of fashion photography, brand logos and the black dress. Nothing new here.


No comments: