29 October 2005

elton john interviews jenny saville




ELTON JOHN: I'm here with Jenny Saville in the most unlikely place--Sicily. I've been a big fan of yours for such a long time. I saw your show at the Gagosian Gallery in New York City last spring, and it blew me away because the work was so strong and real. With so much abstract art these days, to walk into the gallery and see work that focuses on reality--like your huge painting of the pig [Suspension]--just completely thrilled me. You're one of the few artists working today who's committed to realism.

JENNY SAVILLE: I want people to know what it is they're looking at. But at the same time, the closer they get to the painting, it's like going back into childhood. And it's like an abstract piece--it becomes the landscape of the brush marks rather than just sort of an intellectual landscape.

link




No comments: