09 October 2005

endfile




art by endfile

Original plug and socket icon was taken from a dated windows control panel. The icon had been tessellated and altered slightly, then cross-stitched and mounted.
16 count aida, embroidery silks, mdf, perspex, enamal spray.


Cross-stitch preceeded pixel art by quite a few hundred years. Both techniques are based on filling in small squares with colour to build up an image. I am interested in the opposing gender associations of both practices when their processes are so similar. Traditional samplers utilise symbols and motifs to represent events or items of relevance to the stitcher. The electronic icons I have stitched represent machine actions/events/objects


I created the embroidered design based on Blackwork squares, and then fitted in the resistors to give the design depth.
stripboard, metalic embroidery silks, japan thread, resistors.


This series has been influenced by the pixel embroidery work that I have done. Electronic stripboard has a perforated surface much like Aida - I wanted to start using it as a canvas for embroidery, I am now developing the embroidered boards into working circuits.
My electronic embroidery series is being supported by Vivid (see link) through mentoring and support.



pixelated images mounted onto wooden boards
The images are of the construction of the Bull Ring in Birmingham, they were taken on my casio camera watch.

endfile

links



No comments: